From Strathmore village (via the Brewer and Upper Mangaehu Roads) a side trail leads to the Aotuhia area. This isolated valley was first settled in the 1900s with access to the Whanganui River. The road crosses the „Bridge to Somewhere“ which was built in 1937 and is a similar design to the Mangapurua Valley „Bridge to Nowhere“. Allow one and a half hours return (to SH 43) for this scenic back-country drive.
Atohuia – Bridge to Somewhere
The Makahu Tunnel was first opened in 1907. It collapsed in 1919 and was then re-opened in 1921. On a side trail, the tunnel gives access to the Makahu and Puniwhakau Valleys and a large tract of the Whanganui National Park. Surrounding the tunnel is the Kirai Scenic Reserve