The Stone Store, New Zealand’s oldest standing European stone building, was built in 1832-36. Designed by Wesleyan missionary John Hobbs and built by an ex-convict stonemason from New South Wales, the Store was meant to house New Zealand mission supplies and large quantities of wheat from the mission farm at Te Waimate.
When the wheat failed the building was mainly leased as a kauri gum trading store. It then passed into Kemp family ownership, and from 1929 onwards was used mainly as a general store. Bought by the Trust in 1976, the building has undergone extensive conservation work.
The buildings contain relics and displays of their own history and are notable as scarce examples of Regency buildings in New Zealand.
Source: New Zealand Historic Places Trust